Friday 2 August 2013

Northumberland Coast

After the 6th June's post at the end of the Southern Upland Way, I used public transport to get to Warkworth, on the Northumberland Coast, to start a further 3 days walk along the St Oswald Path, eventually ending up at Hadrain's Wall and Corbridge. From where I made my walk home. The point of the three days walk was to join Hadrain's Wall up with the coast, all path of a series of path from the South West (Lizard) to the North East (Berwick on Tweed) walk. I had good weather over the three days, had the pleasant company of Alice, for 1.5 of them, has a good walk over the moorlands outside of Rothbury, ended up walking 26 mile on the second day looking for a wild camp. Having though I'd found one in a small field only to have the owners pass and see me, luckily just before getting the tent out, so on I went. (They didn't sound like they were going to be receptive to me asking!!) Anyway, tomorrow sees a return to the North East and the continuation of the St Oswald Path, also labelled as the Northumberland Coast Path, from Warkworth upto Berwick, plus a bit more at the beginning of the walk. Walking this "flat" walk, with my wife, there will be no camping, B&B's all the way. 11 mile a day average strolling and with our luggage being transferred, only a light day pack on my back. Certainly is the opposite of my recent Southern Upland Way adventure. I'll probally end up with seeing more people in the first day then the whole of the SUW as well. So Sunday is the first day. Blog to follow. In between the SUW and now I've been distracted from walking with being a taxi/luggage service for my daughter a university, decorating has also been on the card, but I have managed two more legs of the Thames to the Wye walk, having walked from Pershore to Worcester, including crossing the Severn. (so it should be called the Thames to Severn to Wye Walk). Followed then by a walk into the Malvern. (A walk across the Malvern Hills to follow) On the theme of River's I also completed the Rhayader to Builth Wells leg of the Wye Valley Walk, leaving only two legs left. This on what was the hottest day of the year at that point. The final walk over the hills into Rhayader was hard work in the heat. But the ice cream and cold coke in the town help the cool down.


No comments:

Post a Comment